The earliest record of Baptist work in the area was in 1854, when immigrants began to settle in South Gabriel Valley. In 1882 the railroad was extended from Austin through the area, and the town on the South Gabriel moved, establishing the new town of Bertram. Some five years later several churches joined together to form First Baptist Church of Bertram.
The church constructed its first permanent building, a one-room structure, in 1892. This building served as the meetinghouse for the church for 55 years until lightning struck the church’s belfry, knocking loose the bell, which fell to the floor creating a large hole.
Construction soon began on the early portion of a new church building, which included an auditorium with adjoining rooms. The new church was dedicated on June 29, 1947. In 1949 the church called its first full-time pastor and also purchased a parsonage. In 1951 a new wing was
added to the building, providing additional educational space. Around 1980 the Fellowship Hall was built.
In 1999 a church building became available through a cooperative effort by First Baptist Churches of Bertram and Burnet, and a Spanish Mission Church, Iglesia Bautista Emanuel, was established. Their first Sunday Worship Service was held February 14, 1999.
On March 25, 2001 the move was made to our beautiful and much larger sanctuary. Shortly after, the remodeling of the old sanctuary into classroom space began; that project was completed in the spring of 2004. Recently, the former church and sanctuary and Fellowship Hall were further remodeled to meet the needs of the current generation. The spacious hall serves the needs of the church and is well-used for community activities
Copyright © 2022 Bertram First Baptist Church - All Rights Reserved.